Nerd Louisville is a registered 501(c)3 charitable non-profit.
Why Nerd Louisville?
Nerd Louisville was established after we discovered there was a vibrant and active community of people in Louisville interested in all types of nerdy activities, but that many of those people were scattered around the city in disparate and sometimes competing groups. We wanted to change that, so we created Nerd Louisville to make it easier for nerds to connect and become friends.
Nerd Louisville’s goal isn’t to supersede or absorb the already existing nerd groups in Louisville, but to create a platform that enables groups to connect with each other and grow organically.
Since our inception, we have fostered a strong and interconnected community, established an annual tabletop gaming convention (Nerdlouvia), and developed a charitable initiative (Next-gen Nerds) to support at-risk youth.
Nerd Louisville’s mission is to make Louisville, Kentucky the most awesome nerd city in the universe. We do that by:
- Fostering a sense of community
- Providing a hub to connect local nerds
- Promoting Louisville as a nerd destination
- Educating, inspiring, and empowering local youth.
Educating, Inspiring and Empowering Local Youth
A Brighter Future
According to a report from The Urban Institute, community-based collaborations are the best hope for helping at-risk youth. Those of on the Board of Nerd Louisville buy into that idea wholeheartedly, and as a result, we created the Next-Gen Nerds Initiative to give something back to the community.
Since the program’s inception, we have used the Initiative to funnel thousands of dollars in books, boards games, and technology into the hands of those who need it most. We made a commitment to the Louisville community to use our time and resources to do as much good as possible and we work towards that goal every single day.
- Sent students in the Engineering program at Iroquois High School to a screening of Black Panther.
- Partnered with the Louisville Free Public Library to stock their shelves with Dungeons & Dragons and other role-playing games.
- Facilitated a weekly Dungeons & Dragons campaign for Louisville children with an autism spectrum disorder.
- Donated thousands of dollars in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) materials to local schools.
- Worked with local businesses and arranged for laptops to be donated to Fern Creek High School where they were refurbished by students and recirculated back into the community.
- Sponsored a trip for students at West End School to The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- In partnership with the City of Louisville and The Louisville Free Public Library, donated Chromebooks and wi-fi hotspots to expand the City’s “Job Seeker” program.
- Donated books, board games, role-playing games, and other interactive learning aids to The DePaul School, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana, and Jefferson County Public Schools.
- Sponsored Big Brother & Big Sisters of Kentuckiana trips to The Louisville Science Center.
- Sent a local student who had recently lost their home in a fire to a week-long science and technology summer camp.
Board of Directors
The board of directors for 2019.
Our mantra is that we are a “Do-ocracy.” where all members of Directors are expected to volunteer their time, effort, talent, and earnings to make this organization the best it can be. You can find most of us at our events and involved with many of the hands-on initiatives under the umbrella of our organization.
We depend on your investment.
Nerd Louisville depends on the community we serve to fund our mission of connecting and empowering local nerds. It is only because of your contributions that we are able to work towards growing our community and making Louisville a destination for gamers and other nerds. Please consider donating to the cause using the PayPal button below!
We prefer financial contributions to our PayPal account (linked above), but if you have a gift-in-kind or would prefer another method of donation please contact us to make arrangements. Please consider a recurring monthly donation if you’re a frequent user of the Nerd Louisville website. Thank you!
Nerd Louisville is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the state of Kentucky and your gifts are considered tax-deductible contributions.
We need your help to make Louisville the most awesome nerd city in the universe.
We need people to work with our Next-Gen Nerds; educators, mentors, and entertainers.
We need people to help forge relationships with old and new sponsors.
We need volunteers for events; help setup, run games, staff booths, etc.
We need volunteers to spread the word, manage our website and social media, and foster a broader audience.
Are you a local store, organization, or group interested in becoming official sponsors of Nerd Louisville? It’s cheap, easy, and you’ll be making a big difference in our mission.
Nerd Louisville Events
Nerdlouvia, Slur Your Role, GameKnights, Friday Night RPGs, and more!
Nerd Louisville sponsors a variety of recurring and one-off events around the city. These events are held at local establishments, like local bars and game shops. Most events also function as fundraising endeavors where Nerd Louisville accepts donations to fund charitable work, like our Next-Gen Nerds initiative. You can find our events on our Facebook page, Meetup group, or by checking our online calendar.
Hours of Gaming
Ultimate Nerd City
Have questions and want to get in touch with us? Have a project you would like us to consider taking on? Send us mail!